Wednesday, April 18, 2012

That Damn Orange Pop

As mentioned earlier, I had the past 3 days off from work - which have been beyond glorious. It was like a snippet of what's ahead - my Maternity Leave, and I couldn't be more thrilled. The countdown begins, 7 weeks of work left! (which also means, 7 weeks to find and successfully train my replacement ... joy)

The text message that Ryan sent to me yesterday was in regards to something that's going on within my pregnancy. Until now, things have been "perfect" - nothing much to worry about, nothing to be startled about (kind of the way I like it). But of course, things are aren't what they seem - and we have to trust in God that things will always work out in the end. Maybe I'm overreacting ... maybe.

A few weeks ago, I took my Glucose Test, typically done during 24 - 28 weeks of pregnancy - where you drink a orange pop like drink (but not like orange pop - cause orange pop is kind of more delicious) and draw blood after an hour. This test / screening is to check for Gestational Diabetes - a high blood sugar condition that some women get during pregnancy. A week or so after taking the test our (family) doctor called me to book an appointment to discuss my glucose test. (insert nervous shake here, anything that the doctor won't tell you over the phone can't be the best news, right?). So I went for my appointent and apparently my results were high - high enough that I needed to go for further testing. My initial reaction was disbelief. Mainly because I truly felt as if I was "healthier" this pregnancy - not giving in to every single little sweet tooth craving, but eating well, normally. I was shocked. The thought of a "problem" with my baby or myself for that matter - erks me. You can say that I'm not the best person when it comes to crisis-type situations. I was sad. Just cause. I felt like I failed ...

I had my OB appointment yesterday and again, minus the whole glucose thing - all was "perfect". Baby's heart beat is strong (melts my heart every single time), my size is good and well, all was going "according to plan". I was going to take the suggested gestational diabetes test, part 2 - but my doctor failed to tell me I had to fast for 12 hours (a pregs lady fasting for 12 hours - stay outta my way!) I ended up going first thing this morning. They drew blood when I first arrived (to test my total blood count), I had to drink that orange pop drink (tastes even worse when it's the 1st thing you consume in the am) and they drew blood every hour - for 2 hours. & food and drink was not allowed - gah. So my dear buddy Aiden and I waited and waited (& I anxiously and starving-ly watched him have all sorts of snacks that we packed for him in his backpack). Hoping the results are ... OK. and that we're OK.

Thank God I have the best family. 
& that Ryan and A are always there to make sure that I'm the happiest (also because it's in their best interest to do so!, lol). We'll get through it together right? We always have, & we always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment